Nowadays, adults and children are increasingly seeking treatment for their oral health difficulties to make their life easier. Thanks to the recent developments in the field of orthodontics which has made it possible for adults to straighten their teeth, improve their oral health functioning, and correct their bite even at an older age. Adult orthodontics is meant to encourage healthy smiles in adults as per their customized needs.
Recent statistics show that one in four orthodontic patients is an adult who wants to avoid unwanted consequences such as tooth decay, gum disease, or jaw issues. There are numerous benefits of adult orthodontics which will be discussed in this article. Continue reading to find more information about adult orthodontics so that you as an adult can improve your dental hygiene and functioning.
Objectives of Adult Orthodontics:
The objectives of adult orthodontics correlate with the general objectives of orthodontics. They are aimed at meeting the following parameters, i.e.,
- Optimal occlusal functioning.
- Improving the aesthetics of teeth and face.
- It contributes to the longevity of the stomatognathic system that comprises the jaws, teeth, and associated soft tissues.
Reasons for Choosing Orthodontic Treatment for Adults:
Adult orthodontic treatment is getting more popular in recent times. It has plenty of benefits for adults. For instance:
- It provides the best way to prevent tooth decay, especially if the teeth have been separated or crowded.
- It improves overall dental health by relieving pain and pressure in the jaw due to crooked teeth.
- It helps prevent periodontal disease that is more prevalent in adults than kids.
- It helps relieve the condition of a bad bite or malocclusion where teeth do not fit together.
- It corrects the spacing between teeth and helps to straighten them.
- It provides practical solutions for teeth cleaning and encourages fresh breath among patients.
Orthodontic Treatment Options for Adults:
- Ceramic braces:
Ceramic braces are suitable for adults who want a less noticeable treatment. Ceramic braces have tooth-colored ceramic brackets that mimic natural teeth. It is essential to clean them appropriately as certain foods can easily stain the ceramic brackets.
- Metal braces:
Metal braces are still in use today. They are suitable choices for challenging cases and are affordable. They help straighten the teeth and work quickly to attain the required positioning.
- Invisalign clear aligners:
This treatment creates a succession of custom-fit trays by using a 3D image of the patient’s teeth. They are virtually invisible, correct the bite issue, and reduce the risk of dental problems. They are super easy to clean and are an excellent choice to fix orthodontic problems quickly.
Crooked or space between teeth can be corrected at any age. Whether you are in your early, middle, or late adulthood, you are never too old to opt for orthodontic treatment. Dentistry has progressed to the point that it is now feasible to improve the looks of teeth at any age. So, if you are looking for orthodontic treatment for yourself, never hesitate to visit your dentist. Get the treatment today and smile with confidence.
*This media/content or any other on this website does not prescribe, recommend, or prevent any treatment or procedure. Therefore, we highly recommend that you get the advice of a qualified dentist or other medical practitioners regarding your specific dental condition